Help Desk Analyst (Field Service / Travel Required)
Specific duties include the following along with other tasks as assigned:
- Review, diagnose and resolve vessel IT requests and / or incidents in a timely manner
- Travel to boat(s)/ships via company provided vehicle or airfare on short notice when requests / incidents cannot be resolved remotely
- Install and troubleshoot vessel PCs, aircards/routers, cabling, and associated communications equipment
Timely and accurate data entry into trouble ticketing system. Escalate detailed tickets to Responsible for providing timely computer support for all vessels and designated charter vessels
- appropriate personnel when necessary.
- Provide timely and accurate information and reports to management levels, summarizing problems and solutions.
- Will participate in service desk and vessel On-Call rotation for after-hours support when required
- Will be the local point of contact for all server, network, and software development issues
- Serve as mobile coordinator for assigned shore and vessel service area
- Research, evaluate, test, and deploy technology solutions as needed by vessel operations
The skills and experience required to successfully fill the role of Specialist – Vessel Systems are:
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple demands
- Strong customer service skills and personal motivation
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to educate vessel personnel in how to avoid / resolve similar problems in the future
- Organized, detail-oriented and accurate
- Ability to comprehend technical materials and train on peripheral equipment
- Good driver with a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to obtain a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) card
- Three (3) or more years’ experience and proficiency in desktop support
- A+ Certification or equivalent
- Running cable and crimping connections
- Skilled using / troubleshooting the following:
- Windows XP & Win 7
- Microsoft Office
- Upgrading and repairing PC equipment and other hardware
- Adding memory, replacing motherboard, drives, PCI cards, air cards
- Satellite communication & cell data devices and antennas (plus running cable)
- Vessel electronic charting software
- Active Directory
- File and Print services
- Knowledge of Microsoft SCCM, networking technologies, antivirus tools, and server rack management is a plus
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The physical requirements required for successfully filling the role of Vessel Support Specialist are:
- Strength – Ability to lift and carry fifty (50) lbs. up/down stairs and ladders.
- Climb – Must be able to climb stairs and ladders that may have a 90-degree angle.
- Confined spaces – Ability to enter confined workspaces (24” x 24”) for installations and repairs. Must be able to enter and exit hatches/doorways quickly in the event of an emergency.
- Range of motion – Must have a complete range of motion in confined areas including reaching over one’s head.
- Physical appearance – ability to wear hard hat, safety glasses, nomex coveralls, slicker suit and steel toe boots
- General – Must be able to endure and work safely in harsh environments including extreme hot and cold temperatures.