Certified Surgical Technologist
• Prepares and assists with the preparation of the operating room according to the needs and age appropriateness of the
patient and the surgical procedure as evidenced by the following, but not limited to: knowledge of surgical pathology as
related to the planned surgical intervention; knowledge of allergies (awareness of high risk groups for latex allergy);
knowledge and preparation of special equipment i.e., implants, prostheses, instrumentation per procedure/preference,
• Applies knowledge of the surgical procedure by anticipating the needs of the surgeon, having supplies opened or readily
available in a cost effective manner as observed by the circulating nurse/nurse manager. Seeks the assistance of the
circulating nurse and references the preference card when unable to make a decision regarding opening versus readily
• Attends and participates in in-services and other continuing education opportunities to maintain professional development.
• Maintains correct count of sponges, needles, and instruments according to the established policy and procedure 100% of
the time as observed by the circulating nurse.
• Assists in the care and labeling of specimens 100% of the time as observed by the circulating nurse.
Scrubs, and wears gown and gloves in accordance with the Recommended Practices and within a reasonable time frame
that facilitates counting of instruments, sponges, and sharps, and the O.R. policy and procedure 100% of the time as
observed by the circulating nurse. This includes conducting an inventory count when placing instruments in pan and taking
them to the decontamination area ensuring that no instruments are lost as documented on the instrument count sheet.
• Assists in the maintenance of equipment and supplies by inspection, proper cleaning, care, and utilization according to
company recommendations and the O.R. policy and procedures 100% of the time as observed by the circulating nurse. If
problems are found, reports to the appropriate person for solution.
• Sets up back table, instruments, medications, and supplies according to the type of surgery and the service 100% of the
time as observed by the circulating nurse/nurse manager.
• Utilizes basic technical skills to implement the plan of care as exhibited by identified unit-based competencies and skills
with no more than 5 exceptions, excluding written counseling. Skills: complies with unit policies on the processing and
handling of sterile and contaminated instruments; opens and closes assigned rooms according to unit policy; correctly
operates the sterilizers and labels and reads the printout to verify that the necessary conditions for sterilization have been
met; completes all other unit-based competencies.
Educational program completion for surgical technologists which may include operating room/surgical training completed in the Armed Services or in the United States Public Health Service- REQUIRED 2 years Experience as a surgical technologist and has experience in two or more surgical specialties- REQUIRED
National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting OR National Center for Competency Testing
2 years Experience as a surgical technologist and has experience in two or more surgical specialties- REQUIRED