The Chemical Engineer is responsible for assisting in providing innovative and cost effective solutions requiring the development or sustaining of new or improved techniques, procedures or products. Areas of product development include oil dehydration / desalting utilizing electrostatic fields, oil/water/gas separation utilizing primary and secondary separation methods including cyclonic processes, water treatment processes including fluidized separation, and gas processes including membranes and chemical scavengers.
• Assist in identifying and organizing requirements and producing specifications.
• Keep abreast of novel technical concepts and markets. Adopt new practices readily to develop innovative and low-cost products.
• Responsible for lab and field tests related to the oil & gas production and processing technologies. Build prototypes, products and systems suitable for testing. Set up and run lab simulations. Design and implement tests, document results and develop stakeholder presentations.
• Conduct initial laboratory testing to define the product parameters, scale to a pilot facility for confirmation testing and manage the design, manufacturing and testing of the commercial unit
• Produce analyses and mathematical models and draw design conclusions based on those. Produce engineering specifications, data sheets, drawings, prepare RFQ’s, work with sub-contractors, develop control schemes, and write operating manuals.
• Analyze, design, develop and maintain products and assist in their commercialization. Apply relevant usability procedures and principles.
• Conduct or participate in technical reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, code and other artifacts. Contribute to design standards and support design re-use.
• Assign, direct and review work of technicians and provide guidance to engineers. With seniority, mentor junior engineers.
• Create and maintain product documentation. Provide support to field and customers through InTouch. Identify performance or hardware issues, locate primary source and develop a workable solution to improve the product. Provide user training as required.
• Author technical reports, papers, articles, patents and presentations. Share expertise via Eureka and special interest groups. Expand informal network throughout the organization.
• Maintain familiarity with company technology, organization and business.
• Knowledge of fluid dynamics, including flow, pressure, temperature, viscosity, compressibility, etc.
• Knowledge of piping systems including fittings, valves, pumps, and pressure vessels.
• Knowledge of construction codes related to the oil and gas industry including ASME, API, NACE and ASTM.
• Knowledge of the methods required to develop prototype equipment to recreate the problem and then work to resolve the problem using proven engineering techniques.
• Ability to develop engineering equations that can be applied by other engineers to design equipment at different rates, pressures, temperatures or compositions.
• Ability to write technical reports define the test program, equipment used, test methods, results and conclusions.
Qualification and experience:
• 5+ years experience with exposure to product development environment
• Chemical engineering degrees, PhD is desirable.