The Data Architect’s role is to ensure high level of data quality across the enterprise through the creation and management of sound data management processes. This individual is responsible for establishing metadata and registries, standardizing data naming, establishing consistent data definitions, associated business rules and monitoring overall data quality. The Data Architect will sponsor the evaluation and selection of all infrastructure components (such as software) for data management systems. Data stewardship protects and foster specific data collections for specific purposes (like a data warehouse for business intelligence or marketing databases), a corporate asset view requires that a cross functional needs are established and maintained. Governance bodies and stewards must exert change on business and technical people—who own the data and its processes—when opportunities for improvement arise. Serves as a senior subject matter expert associated with content, processes, and procedures associated with Enterprise data acquisition and business intelligence plans. Prepares and participates in “deep dive” technical evaluation meetings, investigating processes to understand data and communication flow.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibility A: Leads the Data Governance Program.
- Coordinates with business areas in the development, documentation and maintenance all data definitions for data warehouse, business intelligence tools, and clinical integration and quality reporting.
- Ensures that Data Governance program is aligned with corporate goals.
- Acts as liaison among Leaders and staff, ensuring effective communication and coordination. • Provides Leadership with measures on the effectiveness of data governance and data quality. • Arbitrates conflicts, if consensus, on shared and potentially sharable data is not met by business areas.
- Leads the effort to promote the prioritization of projects and resources that will advance the goals of Data Governance; provides needed information to the corporate project portfolio management process.
Responsibility B: Translates business needs into detailed requirement specifications.
- Identifies system or application needs.
- Analyzes current business practices, user needs, and workflow processes.
- Develops architecture specification deliverables that map customer business requirements into complete information systems (technologies, processes, and people) or operational solutions.
- Performs vendor analyses and makes recommendations.
Responsibility C: Facilitates enterprise systems design and architecture.
- Leads the architectural design, development, deployment, and technical quality of large enterprise solutions that span multiple technologies and disciplines.
- Conducts research and makes recommendations on products, tools, services, protocols, and standards that will support the data management strategy.
- Works collaboratively with the system architects to develop methods for synchronizing data entering company systems from multiple points.
- Ensures that new systems and/or applications adhere to existing data management practices, policies, and procedures.
- Leads complex technical data warehouse discussions on modeling, integration and overall technology solutions and design.
Responsibility D: Manages data integrity.
- Creates and implements a data management strategy for achieving and maintaining high data quality.
- Develops and enforces methods and validation mechanisms for ensuring data quality and accuracy at the point of entry.
- Performs data audits on a regular basis. The results of these audits should be tied in to performance measures for data entry personnel, IT, and the appropriate business units
- Devises, coordinates, and conducts mass data-cleansing initiatives for the purpose of purging and eliminating corrupt or redundant information from corporate databases.
- Uses the concepts and practices of continuous quality improvement to support effective and efficient business information.
Responsibility E: Analyzes system problems and modifications.
- Identifies and ensures the resolution of data quality issues, such as uniqueness, integrity, accuracy, consistency, and completeness in a cost-effective and timely fashion.
- Identifies causes of poor data quality, implement solutions and communicate findings to employees, management, and stakeholders.
- Ensures that project management and software development methodologies include the steps, activities, and deliverables required to achieve high quality data.
Responsibility F: Participates in committees as an IS representative.
- Represents IS as a participating member of designated committee.
- Communicates with IS management of the goals, problems, and solutions of the designated committees.
Knowledge and Skills
- A broad IT industry knowledge with depth in multiple areas including application development, servers, networks and databases; a working knowledge of a variety of hardware and software environments; full understanding of architecting internet and client server systems ; and full understanding of architecting integration and communications platforms.
- Process mapping, group presentation, written and verbal communication, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while adhering to a stringent timeline.
- Ability to apply knowledge of how the industry uses IT to address business challenges using, for example, technical standards and infrastructure, cross-industry trends that impact IT investment, industry-specific roadmaps, and IT enablers.
The formal education and experience required for completely satisfactory performance in this job are as follows:
Required Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, business administration, healthcare administration or business or technology field
Preferred Master’s Degree in computer science, business administration, healthcare administration or business or technology field
Seven (7) years of experience in data warehouse/business intelligence and internet/client server systems including three (3) years of RDBMS experience in data types, change control implications, performance optimization and full life cycle phase software development
Master’s Degree in computer science, business administration, healthcare administration or other business or technology field may substitute for two (2) years.