This is a contract to hire position with a global company in Sugar Land. The Software Engineer implements and maintains new or improved software products, procedures and techniques. Provides innovative and cost-effective engineering solutions according to the project technical objectives and timing. Keeps updated on software technology and process.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Analyze, design, develop, maintain products and assist in their commercialization – in agreement with project technical and timing objectives.
- Ensure that product code and artifacts are managed and safeguarded in a configuration management system in accordance with relevant procedures and guidelines.
- Assist in identifying and organizing requirements and producing specifications.
- Apply usability procedures and principles as defined at the project or product-line level or through customer input.
- Produce analyses, mathematical models, designs and draw design conclusions based on those.
- Build prototypes, products and systems suitable for testing and may be required to set up and run lab simulations.
- Design testing procedures and coordinate with others to perform tests. Conduct tests, document test results and develop client presentation. May present solutions to clients.
- Develop and execute unit tests to ensure and maintain source code quality.
- Provide timely corrective actions on all assigned defects and issues.
- Conduct and/or participate in technical reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, code and other artifacts. Ensure commitments are agreed, reviewed and met.
- Contribute to design standards and support design re-use (best practices, etc.).
- Contributes to development plan by providing task estimates.
- Create and maintain product documentation (requirements, specification, design, development, integration, test procedures and results).
- Provide support and prepare technical documentation to field and/or customers through InTouch in a timely fashion.
- May provide user training for developed products.
- May assign, direct and review work of technicians and provide guidance to engineers.
- May mentor others regarding technical matters.
- Share expertise via Eureka and SIGs and expand his/her informal network throughout the organization: field, research, engineering, manufacturing, other domains.
- May author/co-author technical reports, papers, articles, patents and presentations.
- Continually evaluate engineering approaches and risks to produce and iterate the development plans that ensure high quality, low cost products and systems to the field and/or customer. Assist in preparation of cost estimates.
- Identify and keep abreast of novel technical concepts and markets.